Re: Completely draining automatic transmission

Re: Completely draining automatic transmission

I think what you have in mind is a very bad idea. The fluid pump will
not take kindly to not having lubricant while it is turning at engine
speed. If you want to try to get some more fluid out disconnect the
cooler and drain it. There is no plug on the torque converter so you
can't get any out of that short of dissasemly. If the fluid is really
bad you could repeat the drain and fill again soon asumming the trans
performs well in all other respects.Generaly if the fluid is really
burnt and discolored then you will have to pull the trans anyway. If
the fluid is just dirty and not burnt don't worry about it as long as
all of the seals aren't leaking. Don't forget to check the final drive
level, it isn't the same fluid it is 90# gear oil.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757