More Info on the Backlit Dash

Many of you now seem to be interested in my dash. This is good, because
it is now looking more like I will be able to do this. (But I still need
some more people!) Many have had specific questions about it so I am
working on an informational web page for the people interested. I now
will answer some of those questions posted on the DML.

One person asked about what kind of an overlay it is, and if it would be
possible to do the installation himself without sending the cluster to
me.

The overlay is like you thought, NOT a conventional overlay. I am
getting the actual black plastic face (this is what has the gauges
painted on it) recreated in clear plastic, so it conducts light like a
modern dash. There will then be printed decals with the gauge numbers
on it which will be glued to each new face, and this is how I can do
different speedometers and/or other metric indicators. The needles also
need to be removed and actually disassembled when doing this. The
needles are in two main pieces, the base and the pointer. (I dont know
if these are the "correct" names, but thats just what I call them). I
recreating the pointer in clear plastic so it also conducts light from
the dash. Then they all need to be reassembled, and custom wiring put
in place for the new lights. The primary reason I suggest people send
me their cluster is because of this. It is not something the ordinary
person will want to do. However, is you are really inclined to do this
yourself, I dont think it would be much of a problem to print up an
instruction sheet and send you the parts. I just dont recommend it.

Another person asked about having the speedometer recalibrated when
getting a different face on it. I will have the speedometer
recalibrated myself and it will essentially be "free" to you, (Included
with the $250). In a way, I would consider this also a "service",
because I will also replace all warning and indicator lamps with brand
new ones. And I am also considering offering free labor to replace a
broken trip reset arm for the speedo, and re-glueing the plastic trim
around the inside front of the binnacle.

All other off-DML questions I believe I have answered. If not, please
email me back. And anyone else who is interested please email me too as
I still need a few more people to do this!

ultra'at'isd.net

The web address for my original post about the backlit dash can be found
here for anyone who is just hearing about this...

http://www.egroups.com/message/dmcnews/13047

Thanks for the interest!!!
--
Jim Reeve <Ultra>