Re: [DML] Gas Flap Hood

Oh, another thought on fixing those holes... Since I'm in the restaurant
equipment repair business, I deal with getting stainless pots & pans & such
re-welded. There are shops in most major cities that specialize in that
sort of thing. This also includes fabrication of custom stainless steel
food preparation tables, shelves, etc. If it were my hood, I would take it
to the guy I know in town. He could do it very well since it is basically a
flat surface and not fixing a dent in a curved panel.

How the guy in town would do it is he would use either a MIG or TIG welder.
I really forget the difference between the two. I know that MIG stands for
'metal inert gas'. What they do is use a stainless steel wire fed from a
spool. The wire chosen would be the same alloy as the hood. The wire is
fed through an electric arc welding nozzle that also blows CO2 or some
similar inert gas. Once enough metal is built up in the hole, then it is
carefully ground down to match the surface. I think they use something like
an eraser template (another piece of metal with a larger hole in it) to
avoid marking the surrounding area.

It would probably help if the welder could get to both sides of the hood.
As I remember, the D hood has a plastic backing that covers most if not all
of the interior surface. I'm curious if anyone has any advice on how to
remove or work around this plastic? Anyone?

Walt Tampa, FL