The Fallacy of Fram (was: Re: Oil Filters)

The Fallacy of Fram (was: Re: Oil Filters)

On some filters there are bypass valves, drainback valves, relief
valves, etc; in many cases the factory filters are the only ones
correctly calibrated to a specific application. Aftermarket filters
need to fit as many cars with as few different types as possible to
keep inventory down so now you get into a "one size fits all". Just
because it fits doesn't mean it is correct. I have also seen that
quality control isn't always as good. There are cases where the
pressure on a filter in cold weather will blow the filter apart
because the cold oil just could't get through and the case couldn't
take the pressure. You have to believe that the Delorean venders would
only sell parts that they know won't cause problems and that if a good
substitute was available they would be using it.When you take it upon
yourself to try parts other than recommended you do so at your own
risk but worse than that you may not be aware of all the implications.
There is nothing wrong with substituting parts in an emergency but I
never heard of anyone doing an "emergency" oil change.Keep an extra
filter on hand, they don't go bad in storage.
David Teitelbaum

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, James Espey <james@xxxx> wrote:
> The earlier discussion on the DML about oil filters caused me to
> destroy two new oil filters by cutting them open so everyone could
> see why we sell and recommend the Purflux filter is over the Fram
> filter that shows up on so many cross-reference lists on the
Internet
> and elsewhere.
>
> http://www.egroups.com/files/dmcnews/Oil+Filters/
>
> By looking at the photos, it's immediately obvious why the Purflux
> works better and costs more. The filtering material is folded in a
> 'herringbone' pattern for more filtering ability. Looking carefully,
> you can also see that the material completely fills the filter,
> whereas the filtering material in the Fram falls far shorter - again
> this means the Purflux has more filtering ability.
>
> The Purflux filter has metal retainers at the top (as seen in photo)
> and bottom of the filter, and a stiff spring to hold it in place.
The
> Fram filter uses cardboard retainers at the top and bottom.
>
> Though not shown in these photos, the Purflux filter has a much
wider
> rubber gasket on the bottom to ensure a good seal when installed.
The