Re: [DML] Motor replacement instructions?

Re: [DML] Motor replacement instructions?

I bought a window motor from DMC Joe and no directions came with it. But I
had just got through spending the day with him learning first hand how to
install them, so maybe giving me an instruction sheet would have been
redundant.

As for the Lockzilla, it comes with very easy to follow instructions. I
highly recommend using one, but I think the 'hand shaking' between the
Lockzilla and the Lockzilla remote control option could use some refinement.
I would prefer that it unlock just the driver's door with the first press on
the remote and then unlock both doors with the second press. The system has
a 'flaw' in it where if one of the door locks get out of sync with the other
(i.e. one locked, the other unlocked) then the remote quits working. The
instructions get real pointed about that it's your fault for having
bad/stiff lock solenoids rather than building the lock module around being
able to give a second jolt to a marginal solenoid to get it to move.

I would prefer the system to work like it does on modern GM cars. The first
press of the button unlocks the driver's door. A second press unlocks the
rest of the doors, and (VERY IMPORTANT) subsequent presses gives all the
locks a second chance to move if they didn't the first time around. Are you
reading this Mr. Zilla engineer? :)

As for replacing the window motor... It's a big job the first time you try
it. The major caveats I can mention:

1) don't damage the door panel taking it off. The door panel comes off in
two pieces. The top half comes off first, and you need a trim removing tool
to do it without damaging it. Get the right tool before you get into it.

2) The metal edges of the inner door are VERY sharp. I had cuts all over
the back of my hand before I realized it. Part of my life blood has become
part of that car in more ways than one. Before you even stick you hand in
the door, cover the edges with duct tape. Or better yet (as I did) get a
file and dremmel tool to smooth the sharp edges off. After all... these
cars (or at least parts of them) should be in use until the end of the
world. You might as well make it easier on the next generation to work on
it.

3) I absolutely could not get the window motor through that small hole in
one piece. I ended up taking the motor off of the gear/tube assembly to get
it in the door. Once in the door, I put it back together with a little red
organic Loc-tite (okay, it was blood. -- watch those sharp edges.)

4) To keep the door in a manageable position while you work inside of it,
use a length of light chain with hooks on the ends. Hook one end inside the
door and wrap the other end around the rear door post. If you do it right,
you can easily adjust the position of the door to make it easier to work on.
The door sill makes a good place to sit while you work.

5) This is a repeat of the last paragraph of my previous message, but I
cannot over emphasize the importance: When you install the heavy duty
motor, BE SURE TO REMOVE THE DRAIN PLUG! That is why my motor went bad.
These Bosch motors come with little plastic drain plugs. You are supposed
to remove whichever plug ends up on the bottom of the assembly. Otherwise,
if water gets inside the motor, it won't come out. Keep the plug installed
on the top to help keep water out of the motor.

Hope this helps,
Walt Tampa, FL