Re: Coolant Leak?

Robert,
DMC Joe is right that the only way to find an "Invisible" coolant
leak is to do a pressure test on the cooling system.

If you are going to do an oil change and are looking for coolant
leaks into the oil, you'll know. You will have green "puddles"
floating in the oil. As for not seeing any coolant on top of the
engine, maybe it is evaporating BUT you should still see some signs.
For example: You should see some whitish stains so to speak on the
metal or dry green spots. If coolant is leaking into your oil you
could have either a bad head gasket or a bad seal that is in between
the piston sleeve to the block (very unlikely since you would find
oil in your antifreeze also). To determine a bad head gasket without
taking any thing apart you need to perform a cylinder leak down test
that requires a leak down tester and an air compressor.

If coolant is leaking into your cylinder itself, you will get that
antifreeze burning smell. With the car running at normal operating
temp, (outside of course)stand behind the car. You will smell sort of
a sweet smell coming from the exhaust. That is a good indication that
your engine is burning antifreeze. Again to check for that perform a
Cylinder leak down test. Any mechanic should be able to do this for
you if you don't have the correct tools. The cylinder leak down
tester is fairly expensive.

I've had experienced (with my Jeep that has the same type cooling
system) coolant leaking from the bottle to cap. Usually leaked as the
engine was running. Run the car in park and open the engine cover.
When the car gets to it's normal operating temp, watch to see if any
anti-freeze "spits" out from the radiator cap.

let me know if any of this was helpful.

Steve
www.dmcman.homestead.com