My glorious return

home again, home again, jiggety-jig. well. almost home. actually at a
friend's place at the moment. Anyhoo. somewhere between houston and here,
I noted a small problem. The idle speed when the car is hot is around
1500rpm. When just started, it does the little "vroom-vroom" to keep
running, which, IIRC, is normal (feel free to correct me) and then idles
normally. Needless to say, 1500 rpm is a) not correct and b) makes
shifting into first an unpleasant experience (at the mooment, I'm starting
in 2nd). Mucking through the list archives, the problem would appear to be
in the idle speed microswitch and/or in the idle speed ECU. I don't know
much car stufff, but have no problem with tackling stuff that doesn't
involve Lots(tm) of disassembly.

So, the question is, how to I test for microswitch failure (short of
ordering a replacement and seeing if it works)? And if it passes, how to I
test the ECU? And if /that/ passes, what else could it be?

Ok, that's three questions. So I lied. Oh, I don't (yet) have the shop
manuals, so I'm gonna need a bit of a walk through. I'll buy one when I
have money again, which may be a little while. Did I mention that I just
bought a delorean? :)

Noah
VIN 2867 (and loving it, I might add)

"Where's my fruit cup?" "Behind the bison."
-- Kevin & Kell (Sept 22, 1995)