DMC retrieval

Well, #2867 and I are well under way here. I picked her up from DMC
Houston yesterday morning, and am now in nashville, heading for home
(DC). I haven't driven a manual tranny car in a couple of years (I haven't
owned a car at /all/ in a couple of years. My GF has a automatic which I
drive occassionally, but I'm a motorcycle guy.) so I've been re-learning a
little. Also learning that a lack of power steering means (among other
things) that long haul driving tires me out a tad faster. I've done 12+
hours days on a bike, but 10 hours and I was kinda hurting on this run. No
worries. I'm having fun. :)

The current plan calls for me to head down I-40, grab I-81, and shoot
north. Unless I get bored, and opt to take skyline, which should be
absolutely gorgeous. I've noticed that I'm not as relaxed driving this car
as I am when I bike, or even when I drive my GF's
(girlfriend's... sorry. Geek shorthand.) car; I'm gripping the steering
wheel too tightly. I keep forgetting how crappy the roads are when they're
more than an hour or so from a Major Metropolitan Area(tm).

Oh, and as an aside (as if I haven't rambled on enough), i thought DC area
driversw were crazy. I mean, we've got 8 lanes of asphalt wrapped around
the city, and everyone (I thought) drover like maniacs. Myself included,
I'm afraid. Ok, look. I've own a vehicle with a 5.5-1 weight-HP ratio. I
don't ride like a /complete/ maniac, but I've been known to get a little
impatient. Anyway, DC drivers are absolute little-old-ladies compared to
the freaks you Texans bred in Houston. My ghod.

noah
#2867, on maiden voyage

"Where's my fruit cup?" "Behind the bison."
-- Kevin & Kell (Sept 22, 1995)