Re: Coolant Leak?

You can lose a large amount of coolant and not see any leaking onto
the floor. There are several large web areas on top of the block that
can hold coolant and then boil it. Most likely not only are the hoses
behind the water pump leaking but also the "o" rings on the
distribution pipe.You must replace all of the hoses on the engine, the
gaskets, and "o" rings and should also replace the water pump.Be
prepared to drill out bolts that you will break as you disassemble the
top of the engine and distribution pipe. You cannot settle for
anything less than a system that can hold #15 psi hot for over 15
min. Anything less means you still have a leak somewhere.You probably
didn't blow a head gasket but the things to look for include, a white
frothy oily film on the dipstick, two adjacent cylinders with a higher
than normal compression pressure, a pressure cap that always seems to
be letting out coolant with a need to constantly bleed the coolant
system, excessive blowby in the crankcase, higher than normal
operating temperature. Any or all of these symptoms would indicate a
blown head gasket.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757 Yes I had to replace my water pump and it was a real pain!