Car running again..question

Hey list,
I just got my car back from the VW shop. It turns out that a vacuum line
was broken and I had the timing pretty far off:) He said its the first and
hopefully the last DMC he works on, he said its so hard to get at everything,
I totally agree (ie, distributor) . He is a nice very nice guy to deal with
and didnt charge much.
He said I had a small water leak near the thermostat housing. About 1/2
way home the interior filled with smoke(back window is out,no, not from
T-bars) and the leak got very bad and was now leaking onto the muffler
causing tons of smoke. My house was about a 1/2 mile away so I just went for
it and made it with one door open. Engine was not overheated(gauge at
normal) but I got some funny looks driving a smoking DeLorean.
It is running great but it idles extremely high. At the rear of the
engine compartment there is a black ground wire coming from the wireing
harness that goes to the ignition advance solenoid.(about 12 inches down from
the solenoid connection with an "0" connector on the end) When this wire is
grounded the engine idles very high (over 2000 rpms) when its not grounded
the engine runs and idles fine. What would cause this? am I hurting anything
by leaving it taped up?

Thanks
David