Safety Alert

To The List
Having seen this weekend in Rhode Island many cars I want to alert
the
list to a potential safety problem. The hood is stopped at closing by
two hood bumper stop screws. They can be adjusted up and down. On the
hood are two brackets that do not touch the bumper stops, they are
called restraining brackets and in the event of a severe front end
accident are meant to prevent the hood from breaking the windshield
and entering the passenger compartment.If the bumper stops are
adjusted too low ie: they are not just touching the hood when closed
the restraining brackets would not engage in the event of an
accident.
Also check that the restraining brackets are correctly angled so as
engage the bumper stops. An added advantage to correctly adjusting
the
bumper stops is that the edges of the hood won't bounce while you
drive. Push down on the corner of the hood when closed and if it
moves
you probably need to adjust the stops. Alternatively you could put a
dab of grease on the bumper stop and close the hood. Afer reopening
check to see if some transfered to the hood. Do not raise the bumpers
so much that they put an upward pressure on the hood, they should
just
be touching it. Do not use the bumpers to align the hood with the
fenders.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757
ps. We had a great weekend in Rhode Island and many thanks to Mike
Deluca for making it a great event.