Re: Powder coated wheels "Gassing Out"

In a message dated 10/1/00 9:43:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
billschaferabn@xxxx writes:

<< the owner mentioned he thought the wheels were "Gassing Out". Being new
to powder coating I played it cool and decided to listen instead of guessing
what that meant. He explained to me that my alloy wheels must have taken on
some impurities during the time the paint had peeled off the wheels. This
then required the wheels be baked at least 6 hours to insure the impurities
(now a gas product) could be cooked off. As it turned out they cooked them
for about 16 hours and the wheels still had a very small amount of "Gassing
out". But I can live with the 98% perfect job. >>
I had the same experience. Only one wheel was a noticable problem. Standing
up and looking at them, they look great. Get down on your knees and you see
some "orange peel" but let's face it, the original wheels aren't mirror
smooth to begin with. I'm still delighted with the way they look, and I
think the powder coat will stick on and last much longer than the original.
My wheels had some minor flaking, with just a little whitish oxidation.
Inside they were like new, once the NCTs were off. Even the valve stems. I
matched the original gray, and I'm glad I did since I now think chrome would
look worse on a less-than-mirror smooth finish.

-Wayne
vin 11174
The New DeLorean Manuals Project