Re: [DML] Lexan or Plexiglass windshields

Re: [DML] Lexan or Plexiglass windshields

Claude,
I'm not sure if it is a national law, but in Florida, I understand that
insurance is required to pay for any broken or cracked windshield with no
deductible. You might try going to a local auto glass shop and inquiring.
They might be able to install a Lotus Espirit windshield at no cost to you.

About the Plexiglas idea:
I've heard stories about a government requirement concerning windshield
strength. As I understand it, windshields cannot be made too strong or else
they will cause people too much injury when their heads hit them in an
accident. The same goes for tinting windshields. One of the reasons why it
is illegal to tint an entire windshield is that it will make the glass too
strong and could cause more injury to your head than the government would
like to see happen in an accident. On all windshields near the top, there
is a little line on one side marked, "A_S" or something to that effect. On
my Delorean with OEM windshield, it's on the upper left. The little line
next to this lettering denotes the legal limit to where window tinting can
be put.

Walt Tampa, FL