Re: [DML] sneaking in a second radio bay

Re: [DML] sneaking in a second radio bay

Christian,

I don't recommend doing away with the center dash vents. I had a vacuum
leak that stopped my center vents from staying open. And when those vents
wouldn't stay open, it was just as well to turn the a/c off.

In Florida's humid weather, I have found that the door vents are mostly only
good for fogging up the side windows at night. Even trying to close them
off doesn't help. I'm planning on cutting sponges to fit to stick in the
door vents (to put in the space while the door is open) so that I can stop
my side windows from getting fogged up so bad. It makes the side mirrors
useless, and I have to roll down the windows to get any side visibility.
And YOU want to rely on these to cool your car without the center vents?
LOL. By the way, the windshield defrost vents are great for fogging up the
windows and do little to de-fog them. I suppose they were designed by
yankees who think that moisture only accumulates on the inside of windows.

I think a better idea than doing away with your dash vents would be to
custom make a new center console that extends a few inches higher over the
dash to make room for a second unit. If your proposed electronics setup is
in two pieces, then you could mount one over and one below the dash vents.
If what you have is a one piece setup, then perhaps you could move the dash
vents up higher. They are connected by rubber/plastic looking flexible
duct. Possibly a new custom duct could be made to direct the air up higher
without too much restriction to air flow. Then you would have your vents on
top with a double height radio mounted underneath. If a custom duct would
restrict air flow too much, then perhaps modifying the manifold behind it
could eliminate the double elbow.

Let us know what you eventually decide to do. It sounds like an interesting
project, but it all sounds like a lot of work.

Walt Tampa, FL