Re:Was Brake Problem now- WARNING!-

I just reread the owners manual for my 82 Delorean. It calls for a
brake fluid change @15,000 mi. and a master cylinder and hoses @
45,000 mi. From this I guess that the factory knew that the brakes
were working hard and subject to a lot of heat. It was never meant
for
the brake fluid to remain in the car for more than about 2 years. If
you do not know the "vintage" of your brake fluid you should consider
flushing it out.This could cause other problems like a bad master
cylinder or leaking caliper seals but they would have gone bad soon
anyway. If the fluid is contaminated it will cause pitting and the
sooner you get it out the better. Also ask yourself if it is all dot
3
and what brand ( what has been added over the years by how many
owners and gas stations?). The seals in the Delorean tend to degrade
if you use anything other than Castro GTLMA DOT 4. This is a
peculiarity to all things English including Jaguars, Healys, Triumphs
et al are in the same situation. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, that is
it absorbs moisture from the air. In doing that it reduces the
boiling
point and leads to the formation of sludge. As the fluid gets wetter
it gets acidic and attacks the metals in the system. Heat speeds up
the process and you get pitted cylinder bores. The seals swell and
everything leaks. The moral to this short story is if you have any
question about the brake fluid or the brakes are "squishy" first
flush
the brake system.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, "Steve Rubano" <srubano@xxxx> wrote:
> The rubber hoses to the calipers tend to expand when they get
heated
> up. Usually consistant stop and go driving will do this. That is
one
> of the conditions that will cause "squishy" brakes. Also the reason
> why it got firm again after waiting is becaused they cooled down to
> the point where they wouldn't expand due to the heat. To totally
> eliminate this in the future, replace them with stainless steel
> braided hoses. I remember seeing them for sale on one of the
Delorean
> sites, I don't remember where. Maybe one of the other DMLers will
> know.
>
> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, "Lowery, Dennis [C]" <loweryd@xxxx>
wrote:

> > Hello List, My Girlfriend and I were driving around this weekend
> looking at
> > houses in several different neighborhoods. After spending a half
> hour or
> > hour stopping and going, on the brakes off the brakes etc. the
> brake peddle
> > was starting to get "squishy"...it would almost touch the floor.
> Before the
> > trip I had a good firm peddle. After waiting for just a couple
of
> minutes
> > the firm peddle would come back, but after some more stop and go
it
> would
> > get squishy again. My first thought is that there may be
moisture
> in the
> > system that is either getting hot or "boiling" causing this
> condition. Any
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dennis Lowery
> > Vin. 4797
> > Oct 81
> >
> > P.S. I'm going the Richmond VA British car show this weekend.
I'm