Re: automatic trans swap to manual trans. swap,it can be done

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, nskalsky@xxxx wrote:
> De Lorean guru's,
>
> I am looking at a 81' DMC-12 Automatic. I was wondering if anyone
> thinks the automatics are less reliable? I also was wondering if
> anyone knows if a trans. swap is possible? I am looking for a
manual
> but I would get the automatic if I thought I could swap it out
> if/when
> the automatic failed. Thanks!
>
> -Nathan Skalsky

I HAVE done a automatic to standard frame swap(use a automatic frame
to a standard car,and I found the only major difference is trying to
bolt up the standard shift shifter,to where the automatic used to be.
At the time I was working at a major jet engine manufacturing Co,as a
machinist,and I made a prototype adapter to be able to bolt up a
standard shifter on a automatic frame (I was doing this on my own
time)I made it out of some very exotic metals,so it definely was a
one of a kind,but it can be made out of less expensive materials,when
I bolted it up it worked as if it always belonged there,also if you
look at some of the VERY early photos of the Delorean frame it was
John Z's intention to make the frames universal,that is to have a
bolted on shifter plate somewhat like the one I came up with,so that
it did not matter which frame was used,my problem was at the time
that I did the swap,there was nowhere to turn to, to tell me the
differances between the frames,so I bought a perfect frame at the time
(1988)to install on a car with a damaged frame,by the time I relized
the difference,I had the frame off the good car,and then,that is when
I came up with a adapter.

Claude
000570