RE: [DML] Dual speed alternator prototype

RE: [DML] Dual speed alternator prototype

[Knut's personal opinion: I don't think a properly functioning electrical
system requires such exotic alternator work-arounds. I suggest spending
energy finding and fixing the root cause.]

[MODERATOR's NOTE: Although it's fun to imagine the things that could be
done along these lines, because this all appears to be speculation I have
killed the thread. Feel free to send additional notes directly to Walt.]

Walt,

If you really undertake this project, then consider a clutch from a dead A/C
compressor. You could electronically select the belt that way. Better
still, put in a SECOND alternator geared for low speed that would cut off
above a certain speed. That way you'll have a pair of alternators and
belts, which is a Highly Available configuration.

Personally I don't think it's that much of a problem. It's been 112 degrees
here (!!!?!) and city traffic has caused my D no difficulties: voltage,
overheating, or otherwise.

Gus Schlachter
Austin, TX
VIN# 4695