RE: exhaust manifold

If you're hearing a "tapping" noise, it's most likely a bad exhause manifold gaskit. You might have a broken stud which makes the manifold pull away from the engine and there's exhaust leak and your tapping sound. I think that's what the inspection guy was talking about. I doubt it's cracked because they are so thick, but it is possible. If it's still good, the manifold needs to be resurfaced before being reinstalled. I'd replace all the studs while you're there if I were you. I got my exhaust service kit from PJGrady www.PJGrady.com It has everything you need for both sides of the engine. Mine works great now! :-)

---Dan

I recently bought a Delorean, and the state of virginia is requiring me to
get an emissions test. When i took it in to get tested the attendent said i
had a cracked exhaust manifold. But when i took it in to have the manifold
looked at they told me it was the head gasket. Does any of this sound
right?
Thanks
Willie