Re: comparison

Not getting too personal here, but you seem to be missing the point.
Yes the DeLorean could use more power, but it is by no
means "underpowered" for it's use: daily driving. When you compare it
to a car such as the Corvette or Mustang, yes the amount of power
these cars put out, and the accelleration times are better, but
that's what these car's were designed to do. Yes the DeLorean could
use more power, many people including myself agree. Even the original
DeLorean Motor Company agreed as well, proof of that is with vin 502.
But still, the DeLorean does very well for itself. The D was intended
to be a car that had luxury, performance, and economy all
complementing one another. It just wasn't intended to be a "Bad-Ass"
muscle car for tearing up the track. Like I had said before too,
hills are no match for the DeLorean. My '97 Hyundai Accent has 92 hp
and does pretty good on flat surfaces. But when it hits a hill you
can feel a tremendous power loss. And when it comes to Hondas that
have V-TEC engines, they're just about useless in the sense that you
have to come within 1100 RPM's of red-lining the motor in order for
the V-TEC feature to kick in. Sure they have good results on paper
and the track, but this extra performance is just not there in
regular communiting situations. And yes cars such as the Pontiac
Grand Am use V-6 engines that put out 170 hp, but there always
mounted up to automatic transmissions. In traffic for quick
accelleration, manual downshifing in a DeLorean can produce much
quicker results. Yes the Grand Am is fast, but by the time it has
kicked down gears and starts to go to try and get ahead of me, I've
already changed lanes in my DeLorean. Next is the final factor: A
car's performance is 40% car and 60% driver. If you have a more
powerful car, but are either afriad to use the extra power, don't
know how to, or just plain choose not to, then what good is it? A
chain is only as good as it's weakest link, and the weakest part of
most cars on the road today is not the powertrain, the suspension, or
even the safety features, it's the drivers. If you put a naturally
slow driver behind the wheel of a Corvette, all you end up with is a
slow Corvette! So in the type of enviornment that my DeLorean is put
into with slower cars AND drivers, she performs great! If I do run up
against a car that is faster then me, I no longer compare our car by
speed, but rather looks. "A Camaro? So what, look there's a
DeLorean!" If I can't outrun some one, I can sure beat them with
looks alone! With this mindset I have a win/win situation for my car.
Either way, I can't be beat! While the main factor in judging the D
(or any car for that matter) is based upon individual perception, we
must take in other considerations such as environment and being
realistic about everything as well.

-Robert
vin 6585

Note: I really don't have anything against Camaros, Corvetts,
Mustangs, or otherwise. I just use them as examples. Although I do
admit I am a bit biased in this posting, I just judged my car
positivly in the same way that others have judged it negatively.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, "Gabe W." <thecreech@xxxx> wrote:
> (The author appears to be compairing the DeLorean with automotive
technology that has been advaced 20 years beyond the it. Consider
this when making a comparison...Moderator.)