Re: electrical problems relating to fuel pump

Re: electrical problems relating to fuel pump

The workshop manual calls the Fuel pump relay the RPM relay and it
calls the lambda relay the main fuel relay sometimes. So when I said
main fuel relay, I am referring to the Lambda relay. I replaced both
of those relays, and it still does not work.

You are correct. When I jump the wires I get 12 volts. I get 4 when
the purple/white is not jumped.

I was fairly certain that the problem was not related to the fuel
pump, but on of the circuits that feeds the rpm or the lambda relay.
I have spent several hours checking all wires though and I can't find
anything. And to make matters more complicated, it has started a few
times in between all of my testing. I am not sure where to look next.

Joel

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe@xxxx> wrote:
> If you jumped the RPM relay, as you said you did, and you can hear
the fuel pump running, that indicates that all is well with the fuel
pump. The fuel pump needs at least 9 volts to operate therefore it is
unlikely that you have only 4 VDC at the pump. You keep mentioning
the main fuel relay; the RPM relay is the main fuel or fuel pump
relay.

> Once again; repeat the brown to white/purple jump test. The brown
wire is 12 volts hot to the battery, therefore you should also see 12
VDC at the white/purple wire.

> If the fuel pump runs when the RPM relay is jumped and the car will
not start you have a problem other than the fuel pump.