Re: [DML] DELOREAN PARTS PRICES

Relatively speaking, I don't think most DeLorean parts are that out of line with other cars in it's class, or collector cars in general. My favorite example is the quarter panel that needed replacing on my now ex-wifes Honda Accord - over $1100. The same DeLorean part is $997. Or windshields - under $400 for a DeLorean, for a C4 Corvette, $744. Note that these examples are all for new parts from dealers. Keep in mind that in 1981, the car was compared (by the magazines, at least) against Ferrari, Maserati, Porsche, as well as Corvettes.

Regarding discount clubs - De Lorean Motor Company offers the "Budget Restoration Program". Simply spend $1500 on anything we sell (parts only, not labor), and all future parts purchases (excepting kits, which are already deeply discounted) receive a 10% discount for 12 months. Several DML'ers are already a part of this program. You don't even have to spend the $1500 all at once, simply spend $1500 within 12 months, and the next 12 months get a 10% discount for the next 12 months.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1
http://www.delorean.com

Lately, I've caught myself complaining about the high price of
Delorean parts. True, they are expensive, but in most cases are still
available, which is a miracle in itself. The Delorean dealers have
had to invest large amounts of money and time to find and warehouse
the parts; and have gambled that owners like you and I will buy the
parts to maintain our cars. As an owner, I want to keep my car in as
good a shape as I can afford, which means that I have to wait until I
have the extra money to replace non-safety items. I'd like to see a
discount club started from the suppliers for Delorean owners -
monthly 10% off deals, or something like that to show that they truly
appreciate our business. (which I know they do).
I am not in the Delorean Parts business, but do have another
collector car- a '57 Thunderbird that has fairly expensive parts, too.
The T-Bird suppliers do a different discount program monthly to
motivate us to spend more, and it works! I'm slowly doing a frame-off
on this car, and spend as I can on it as well. Having 2 "babies"
means I have to watch my restoration and maintenance dollars closely.

This is only my opinion, and is thrown out for whatever it's worth.