ground to whell well measurements

Group,

I recently replaced the 215-60-RH 14 front tires on my D with the
correct 195-60 RH 14 size. Now, it
seems that the gap between the top of the tire and the bottom of the
wheel well rim is too big. On
further inspection, the previous owner had a nylon strap placed
across the front end springs which is
tight. I wonder if he put on new springs to make room for the bigger
wheels and the straps keep it from
being too high or springy. My measurements are:

Ground to bottom of the rim of the wheel well=26 inches

top of wheel to bottom of rim of wheel well = 3 1/2 inches

Are these the dimensions for a stock vehicle?

Also, what is the recommended dimensions for a 'lowered' version?

Any comments on the nylon strap would also be appreciated.

Steve