Re: [DML] Re: Delco alternators

I put one of the Delco alternators on my Ducillier-equipped DeLorean many
years ago using the method Darryl mentioned in an earlier post. Used a
universal alternator "J" bracket from Pep Boys, cut it short to fit (where
to cut will be obvious when you have the bracket or there is a diagram in an
early Delorean World I think), and saved the original Ducillier alternator
and it's bracket for "later".

The original belt will work but you might want to get one about an inch
shorter or the battery lead will be a stretch to fit on the alternator's
output post. I made a wiring harness adapter so I wouldn't have to change
the original harness' Ducillier alternator spade connectors. Like
sure...right... I'm going to put the Ducy back on someday...

If you are replacing a Motorola alternator you are on your own for connector
information. In any case you'll need a small two-spade connector that plugs
into the Delco alternator. It's available in any auto parts store hanging on
a bubble pack. Should have a red and a white lead attached; connect the red
one directly to the alternator's output post and connect the white one to
the lead in the D's alternator wiring harness that connects to the
dashboard's BATT lamp (don't recall the wire color but easy to find on the
D's schematic). The second wire in the Ducy's wire harness is no longer
used.

The alternator comes with a pulley assembly in two versions- one has an open
fan, and the other has a round plate attached to the front of the fan to
force air to enter the fan around the edges of the fan blades. Probably
makes little difference but I used the one with the plate on the theory that
it may run a little cooler--sucks at least some air from below the car,
rather than directly from the muffler surface.

In any case make sure your muffler head shields are in place or you'll run
the risk of baking your new alternator to a premature death.

Working fine for 10+ years or so...

\\ Mark Hershey, Vin 2790, Official Computer Governor Science Experiment
Vehicle