Exhaust studs

I am taking my car to a long time Volvo service shop here in Portland
Maine for exhaust gasket replacement to the drivers side.

In looking at the car it was noticed that the exhaust port closest to
the drivers back (not the rear bumper) has a stud missing on the top.
There are 2 studs to each port and the one on top is probably broken.
The shop is concerned that there isn't enough room to get a tap in
there to get this stud out and has suggested that perhaps a way to do it
would be to make a small hole in the rear frame tower so that there
would be a straight shot to get this stud out. I'd prefer not to make
a hole in the frame. Is there a preferred way to get at the studs that
are in these tighter areas? Any specific tools and attachements that
work better on our cars that I can pass on to them?

This is a real top notch Volvo repair facility and they are very open to
any suggestions. I told them I would inquire as to any methods that
have been used.

The day I went there to have them check out my car, I drove in and there
sat another De Lorean!! There were quite a few double takes as I drove
in. One car is unusual in Maine but two is rare. They took pictures of
the cars together. I had already been in touch with the owner of this
car and he had told me about this repair place.

If anyone is in the Maine/New England area and has a problem with there
car call "Alan Auto" on St. John's street in Portland Maine.

Tom
vin #05732