Fuel pump question for everyone

Trying to diagnose a gas smell problem that just will
not quit.

I would like everyones input on how tight you have the
clamp around the outer fuel pump seal. I have mine
SUPER tight. Im thinking this might not be wise as so
much tightness could bind the boot somewhat creating a
not perfect seal, thus letting fuel come out.

My car is in the shop getting my A/C repaired and 4
new Yoko's put on, So i cant test this theory out, but
to me it sounds very possible.

ps. i have a whole new fuel pump assemblely (all new
rubber pieces) and a new fuel filler cap. The smell
is definately coming out of the area with the pump boot.