Re: Fuel Pump Buzzing

Me and a friend have also fabricated a "custom" fuel pickup line
(suction hose) on his DeLorean after he had problems when the gas
tank
heated up. What we did was buy some thick, braided PVC hose, a brass
90 degree fitting, and a new pickup screen (suction strainer). The
PVC hose is very thick and does NOT want to kink or collapse. We cut
two lengths of this to attach to the 90 degree fitting which went to
the fuel pump and baffle. (Link to a picture of this below). There
are only 2 drawbacks to what we did.
1 - There is no bend in the end of the hose in the baffle, so the
pickup screen isn't laying at the bottom of the tank.
2 - There is no slack in the line what-so-ever, so it must be
attached
to the baffle first and then very carefully connected to the pump
right at the opening to the tank.
But since installing this he has had no problems. Although his fuel
pump did die on us on the trip out to Clevleand. (Which was GREAT!
Thanks Ken!) Luckily, DML moderator Bruce Benson just happened to
have a spare pump which we were able to install and be back on our
way. It is possible that the pickup line was damaging the pump while
it was collapsing, but the pump chose to die a couple months later.
Supposidly, the previous owner of his car did replace the fuel pump
last summer. If that is the case, I would strongly reccomend
everyone
cleaning out their gas tanks and getting new pickup screens and
hoses.
To see a picture of what we made, check out...
http://www.isd.net/jreeve/delorean/pics/new_pickup_line.jpg
Also, if you wish to see what his old pickup screen looked like...
http://www.isd.net/jreeve/delorean/pics/old_pickup_screen.jpg
One more thing, the owner of this car I keep talking about is Ryan
Stroschein.

Jim Reeve
http://www.isd.net/jpatrick
AIM-ultra2169