Re: Automatic car washes? Pros/Cons?

I've never had a problem when running the D through a brushless car
wash. Although I haven't run it through the type that does use
brushes, I can tell you that they consistantly miss alot more of the
dirt, particuarly the back of the car/truck. It requires a bit more
work, but I usually like to wash the D with the high pressure washer
& the bubble brush. That way you can get more of your car cleaned
like the rocker panels, engine cover, etc... Plus I think it adds a
nicer shine than just the automatic. Before you wash your car, make
sure that there are no leaves or anything else that can either block
or slow drainage from the heater/AC intake below the windshield. Mine
was full of leaves & dirt, so the water filled up and then spilled
over into the blower moter. Needless to say I had a huge waterfall of
soapy water pouring into my car, and since I was in the automatic
carwash I couldn't stop it! To check if it's clogged, use a garden
hose or a bucket, and pour water into the chamber. Look in the
chamber to see if water fills up to the top. If not, then everythings
alright. If so, then you'll need to remove the access panel to the
gas tank in the trunk. Above the gas tank, behind the fuel pump
cover, is where you'll find the drain hole. Hooking a wet/dry shop
vac up to the drain while the chamber has water in it is a good way
to flush it out. If you have a large obstruction (such as grape,
maple leaves, even twigs), you may need to remove to remove the grate
below the windshield covering everything for better access. None of
this is pictured in the Workshop manual, and even though this can
cause water to enter to cabin, it isn't mentioned anywhere in the
service bulletin dealing with water leaks. Although this is more
likely to happen to cars that sat outside, it never hurts to check if
you have a car thats about to see water but has never been in it
before.

-Robert
vin 6585