Re: [DML] Fuel gauge points straight up

J wrote:

> I just got my car back after months of being in the shop, and now
> the fuel gauge just points straight up. Since among the things replaced
> were the fuel pump and throttle cable, I think its most likely that
> they knocked a wire loose somewhere. The ones going to the sender
> seem ok.

I will bet that your problem is in the sender itself, unless you have a
Tankzilla. The original senders are notorious for causing exactly the
symptoms your describe. I suggest you remove the sender check it out before
looking for trouble under your dash. The sender is very easy to remove, much
easier than dangling upside-down under your dashboard.

Turn the car on but don't start it. Have a friend watch your fuel gauge while
you are holding the sender. Shake it and turn it upside-down, moving the
float up and down the shaft. If the gauge moves, then the problem is not
under your dash.

- Mike Substelny
VIN 01280, 7 years