Engine Compartment Light

 To all,

My engine compartment light hasn't worked since I've
owned the car so I'm finally getting around to trying to figure
out why it won't work. Can anyone help me make sense of the
wiring? There is a purple wire and a purple/white wire that goes
to the light. The switch has a purple/white wire and a black wire
on it. Somewhere between the light and swithch the purple wire
turns to black. Anyone know where, why, or how?

Also, against the firewall there is a black wire and a red wire
that goes into a white connector that is not connected to anything.
Is it supposed to be connected to something? I've looked around the
engine and don't see any other connecter that's not connected to any-
thing. Any idea what this is for or where it goes?

Thanks in advance for any info...................Jason