Manual Transmission Sensor? What is this thing??

Manual Transmission Sensor? What is this thing??

Hi Gang!

Before I asked the list I checked both the archives and scoured the parts
and service books....maybe I'm just missing something. If this seems like a
stupid question - I apologize in advance.

I've been restoring my frame in the last month and since the engine and
transmission are out of the car I decided to do the exhaust manifold gaskets
(GREAT kit from PJ Grady).

Tonight while removing the manifold on the drivers side, I came across a
hanging wire which looks like it's connected to a sensor (?) at the base of
the manual transmission where it bolts to the engine. This wire has been
cut (for a long time by the looks of things). It's on the drivers side of
the transmission right near the catalytic converter (but again it goes
directly into the transmission - at the pressure plate/flywheel).

Any ideas what this is supposed to be for?

Thanks
mike@xxxx
VIN#17089

www.mydelorean.com

"it's a sports car - of course it breaks down.... how else are you supposed
to bond with it?"