[DML] Shifter Boot

I have read from other's postings about how the plastic "locater" tabs
break off of the shifter boot and I have tried to re-epoxy mine on.
This seemed to work for a short while and then it broke off again.

It would seem to me that the part is poorly designed and even a new one
would suffer the same fate in a short while. My intrim solution seems
to be to epoxy the whole plastic part of the boot onto the shifter
plate. This is easy to do by simply disconecting the clock and the
dimmer and then epoxying the whole thing together.

If this does not work I see two other options. I could drill the plate
from underneath and then sheet metal screw the plastic part of the boot
to the frame of the shifter plate. Whith a little more epoxy to "fill"
the bottom part this should hold until "the cows come home!"

As a second option, I could drill down through the top of the boot, the
plastic and then the shifter plate and use a stainless steel screw in
four locations to hold the boot in place. I hate to do this as it
would alter the original look of the car ever so slightly.

Do any of you have any ideas?