[DML] learning by osmosis

The recent thread flaming those who ask "dumb" questions has been adequately
rebuffed by those defending that means of education. But here's another
angle: I HAVE the parts, owners and workshop manuals. (The other manual is
on the way.) Actually I have TWO workshop manuals, which came with the car.
Problem is, they were written for trained, professional mechanics. Which I
am not. De Lorean factory trained mechanics... which practically no owner is.
Hence the line in the manual, for instance, about the air filter which
simply says "remove it." My "osmosis" training tells me the air filter is
the round paper ring inside the the big thing on top of the carb, secured by
a wingnut. Sorry... not on a D! I would have never guessed that to change
the filter I not only had to unbolt it from the intake manifold, but peel
back the edge of the DMC decal as well . :( Haven't done it yet... had to
get metric sockets first!

Learning to repair the D from the workshop manual is like learning a foreign
language from a book. Why struggle? Why reinvent the wheel?

Besides, the darn manual is pretty un-user friendly. Probably written by
engineers who never had to repair one! And those crummy illustrations.
Wouldn't it be nice if the workshop manual illustration showing the
thermostat housing and bleeder screw actually had the screw labelled? Ask
your "dumb" questions. They're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

-Wayne
"Living the dream!"
VIN...11174