[DML] Re: Lowering (and speeding in Toronto)

Shannon Larratt wrote:

> Anyway, what I meant to say is that over the Delorean handles
> so poorly that this doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference.

Shannon, once again I find myself questioning the conditon of your
DeLorean. I must admit that when I first acquired mine it handled very
poorly, but I thought crummy handling was just the way the DeLorean was
designed. Eventually someone knowledgeble drove my car and commented
that it handled poorly by DeLorean standards. He suggested that my
steering rack was worn out.

I got a remanufactured steering rack from Dave Bauerle. It made a world
of difference!

Now my DeLorean handles about the same as my wife's Porsche. Due to its
wider stance, the DeLorean corners a bit better than the Porsche on a
curvy country road. Maybe this summer I will actually measure the
low-speed turning radius of both cars and report the results.

Also, I believe that smaller Jeeps do have a very tight low-speed
turning radius. They are supposed to be that way. A CJ has a turning
radius about as small as they come at 16' 11", while a typical car has a
32'+ turning radius. I believe the DeLorean's turning radius is
somewhere around 20', and I am not surprised that a Jeep turns tighter.

source: http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3B/Military/NotteNavy3B.html

- Mike Substelny
VIN 1280 for 7 years