[DML] Re: Lowering (and speeding in Toronto)

[DML] Re: Lowering (and speeding in Toronto)

I am all for lowering the front of the DeLorean to bring it down to where
the designers intended to be but I am against cutting the springs to
accomplish the change.

The front of the car is very light compared to the rear (35/65 ratio).
In-order to maintain solid steering control the tires need to be pushed down
to keep them in contact with the pavement as much as possible. When you cut
the springs you change the spring rebound characteristics. This causes the
tires to rebound over bumps in the road at a higher rate, the increased
rebound (bounce) reduces front end control. This not only effects the
handling but also effects comfort. When the springs are cut, the ride
becomes more "giggly"; or is it "Giggy"!

The front re-calibrated springs are not expensive, especially when you
factor in the labor time to cut the old spring and the confidence knowing
your DeLorean will not sit lop-sided. The updated springs are not just
shorter they also have a modified spring rate that allows the front end to
behave the way the Lotus engineers intended.

DMC Joe / De Lorean Services / <dmcjoe@xxxx>

Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>