[DML] Re: Hardware

DANGER WILL ROBINSON! DANGER! DANGER!

You may be able to get lots of your nuts and bolts at local hardware
stores (I do), but remember you ABSOLUTELY MUST replace every piece with
the SAME STRENGTH hardware as the original.

Do not think that all nuts and bolts are the same -- this is common for
new mechanics and hobbyists. If you replace a hardened bolt with a
standard strength one, it may shear even during simple torquing.

Stainless fasteners are NOT usually rated for the same strength as other
steel fasteners, and may have substantially different strength ratings
and other important characteristics (i.e. thermal expansion rates). Use
EXTREME caution when selecting those nuts/bolts.

Oh, and don't over-rate either. I do recall a college materials
professor mentioning something about a strut cracking off of his Cessna
because the higher strength fasteners were also more brittle, and less
forgiving/absorbing of sudden shock stresses. I assume the same would
hold true for our winged vehicles. Engineers use a certain strength
fastener for a reason, you know...

Matching the strength rating is critical. Don't skimp, especially on
suspension components. Your butt will only be 6" off the ground while
driving. Don't let non-hardened fasteners make it 6' under the ground.

-Dave
http://www.ProjectVixen.com
VIN 5927
(Yes, I hope to have an update soon!)