[DML] Winter weather driving questions (looking ahead to next year)

[DML] Winter weather driving questions (looking ahead to next year)

I live in Massachusetts and am considering using the D as a
daily driver around town (10 minute commute to work plus
errands, not for traveling), but I am concerned about performance
in snow.

1) Has anyone used "snow" tires (i.e. specially siped or even
studded, on rear wheels or on all four) on their D? Results?

2) Are such "snow" tires available?

3) Can anyone give me a rough idea how much snowfall they have
safely traversed in their D? Could I get around a poorly-plowed
town in four inches of snow without risking the car?

4) Any other suggestions to enhance winter handling? I was thinking
some dense weight (bagged slabs of lead?) in the trunk to increase
traction in the front. Once with stock tires I tried turning the D
around in the driveway when there was snow and ice and the front end
basically did not have any traction at all.

Thanks to all!

Replies via email should also be sent to dmcnut@xxxx to ensure
a good delivery.