[DML] Re: dash covers ?

James said,

I was wondering if anyone has or uses a dash cover, (I don't know the
exact term for them). It's those cloth covers that cover the dash. I
was just wondering if anyone knew of any place or company that made one
that custom fix the Delorean dash? If so, where could I get one at and
how about how much are them? A little preventative medicine can't hurt,
my dash is 'perfect' and I just don't want any cracks or anything to
happen to it.
thanks in advance !!
James
-------------------

In my experience the dash cover is not the way to go to save your Delorean
dash.

I have used dash covers in the past, with other cars and they work great, so
I purchased one for the Delorean when I got the car, to protect my perfect
gray dash. What I found is that the vinyl material that was used to cover
the Delorean dash must breath. Putting a dash cover on the dash will not
allow the dash to breath and results are that the dash will start to turn
colors. The gray dash will turn purple.

It was Darren Decker, vin#5000, that brought this to my attention this past
summer. He was using the carpet dash cover. I was using the light weight
velour cover with the foam backing. Though both our dashes had started to
turn purple, we were able to get rid of the purple, by actually leaving the
cars unprotected for a while in the sun, allowing the dash to get hot.

The best way to keep your dash protected, is to keep the vinyl conditioned
with something like "Formula 2001" and try to keep the sun off the dash as
much as you can. I have a custom made car cover that I used to accomplish
this. Just takes me about one minute to put it on and take it off. A plus to
this is that it will protect the whole car. I would strongly recommend the
custom car cover made of the "NOAH material by Kimberly-Clark". It is very
light weight, breathable and design for out door use. When not in use, mine
folds up nice and is kept in the truck of the car. These covers can be found
at http://store.yahoo.com/carcover/index.html

Robert Starling
Vin#5252