[DML] VIN checking and breakdown

Lee and others...........

Let's say you wanted to check some special serial numbers such as the twin
turbo, but you didn't know the entire VIN. All you knew is that it was
000502. In order to get the info back from CarFax you would have to enter
the ENTIRE VIN number, including the "check" digit (9th number). So you
would have to guess between 0-9 or X until you got the right one.

The correct VIN for the Twin Turbo is SCEDT26T1BD000502. (Check digit is
2).

Now let's say you wanted to know the history of my car 000697. In my case
the check digit is 9. Full VIN: SCEDT26T9BD000697.

I really don't know the purpose of check digits, I assume they're just there
to cut down on mis-entered numbers. Our three digit account number at our
country club used to have a extra number at the end for just that purpose.
I guess if the billing people entered it wrong, the computer would reject
the number.

In the car club that I run, we use the calculator a lot for research on the
Cadillac Allanté. We try to track down final production numbers for the
years and two versions (hardtop/convertible or convertible). We can guess
the serial numbers, then use the calculator for the check digit. Otherwise
we would have to guess a maximum of 11 times for a single VIN.

In Nick's case, he had 16 digit VIN with a 9 in 8th position. In my VIN,
any all others I've seen, have a T in the 8th position. By inserting the T
right before, it didn't change the 9 which meant it was mathematically
correct. It was a guess that by chance they left out the T on his. Just a
guess--not saying anything is wrong with his VIN.

I saw the exact formula listed once and it was REALLY complex. I emailed
the file to a fellow DML'er and hopefully he'll post it on a FTP site for
everyone.

Anyone know how the DeLorean VIN breaks down?? For GM vehicles it's in the
pattern as follows (93 Cadillac Allante is the example)

1G6VS3399PU128044

1=USA
G=General Motors
6=Cadillac
VS=Allante Convertible
3=Body style 62V, 2-door coupe convertible
3=Manual seat belts w/ air bag
9=4.6 liter V8 DOHC (Northstar)
9=check digit
P=Year of manufacture - 1993
U=Final assembly - Hamtramck, MI
128044=serial number which started at 125001 (started at 100001 for those
cars shipped with a hardtop)

Now this could be the same format for the DeLorean??? (My 81)

S=Ireland or UK?
C=DMC?
E=DeLorean?
D=??
T=??
2=2 door, two seat coupe?
6=manual belts?
T=2.8 liter V6 engine?
9=check digit
B=Year of manufacture-1981 (B is correct for 1981)
D=North Belfast?
100697=serial number.

Can anyone confirm any of these numbers and letters by comparing them with
other British VINs?

Thanks, --Jonathan #000697

------------------------

Excuse this question, maybe I missed something some where.....

If I read the vin number on the door post of my DeLorean and do some sort
of calculation
the answer will confirm that the vin number stamped into the metal ID plate
is correct? I don't get it? whats the point in that? The vin number is
what it is, I can see
a number being miss stamped at the plant, but once it is stamped into the
metal what ever
it may be, thats what gets recorded on all the paper work...That number is
by it's very existence correct