[DML] Re: door handle broke

My driver's side outer door handle broke last year under the same circumstances. Yes, there is a metal (cast aluminum, I think) handle available. I got mine from DMC Houston. Replacing it was easier than I
expected. The hardest part is getting inside the door by removing the two interior panels.

At first the aluminum handle would not quite fit on my early '81, because its beefier arm has to pass through the small opening in the door to reach the unlatch cable. I had to grind away a tiny bit of the
stainless where the handle meets the cable (only visible with the handle removed) with a dremmel. I assume later DeLoreans already have an opening big enough for the sturdier handle.

While you are inside the door you should consider adjusting and lubricating the locking and latching mechanisms. Check your door guides, too. You should *never* have needed to pull that hard on your door. If
everything were working smoothly in there your plastic handle would still be serving you today.

- Mike Substelny