[DML] Re: Rear-Foglights (was: UK DMC Registration?)

[DML] Re: Rear-Foglights (was: UK DMC Registration?)

Sun, 28 Nov 1999 23:04:54 Martin Gutkowski <dmc.12@xxxx>
wrote:

> Fogs You must have a rear fog. I cut
> the rear pair to make two rear lights - I think an additional fog
> looks messy.

I agree,

> Purists would argue for changing rear
> intensity of the pair at the back - I think this is best but I did not
> have time.I fitted an internal switch.

I don't know exactly what you mean, but I might have a solution,
quite low-cost and reliable (when done wel).
I installed this system in a Volkswagen Golf (Rabbit in the US) for a
friend
who wanted to convert his fogs into extra brakes (so he would have 4
brakes),
without losing the fogs...

This actually isn't that hard: all I did was install a couple of heavy
Diodes that could
easily work about 5 Amps (that's the current for a 21Watts bulb + a
safety-margin)
I simply put the diode between both plusses of Brake and Fog, with the
Cathode
connected to the Fog-side.
Since a Diode is comparable to an electronic "one-way-valve" it allows
current to
run to both brake-lights, when power is switched to the fog-light only
one bulb
(the inner- or the outer-one, that's your choice) gets current because
of the diode!

When I firts put this together I forgot ONE thing:
a Diode has a voltage-drop of about 0.7Volts; so the
"non-fog"-brake-light was a bit less bright... This was easily solved
by adding an extra Diode in the Brake-light-line, so both bulbs would
get the same voltage again.

I've made up a couple of scetches to explain what I mean,
I'll put them in the Vault for anyone who's interested.
If anyone has any questions,
please feel free to mail me privately at Jan@xxxx

Greetings from the Netherlands,

JAN van de Wouw,