[DML] CV joint blues

My left outboard CV boot was torn, so I ordered the kit from PJ Grady and went at it. Since I had the shaft out, I decided to repack both joints. When I cleaned them up, the outboard joint (the one with the torn boot) was pristine, but I noticed that the balls from the inboard one had a bluish tint to them. No other sign of damage. My old, revered copy of the John Muhr Volkswagen repair book (from which I learned everything I know about auto repair) sez that this means the joint is not long for this world. Is this true? I put everything back together and there are no symptoms. The car has 30K miles.

So, should I:

A) Call Rob back right away?
B) Make sure that my AAA card is up to date and keep driving?
or
C) Forget about it?

Also, there are suggestions in the archives that the joints are hard to find. Is this the case? Isn't there a cross for such a generic component?

--pete lucas
VIN 6703
--pete