[DML] Re: eBay Delorean

On Sat, 6 Nov 1999, Ann & Ed Thompson wrote:

> The DeLorean was never touted to be "one of the fastest production cars
> on the road". If it were, it would have never been fitted with the 85
> MPH clock. Those that have ever owned/driven a DeLorean know better.

The 85 MPH speedometer was used because of the law, in effect from 1979 to
1983, that required the use of an 85 MPH speedometer no matter what the
car's capabilities are. The original idea was for the car to have a 140
MPH speedometer, and I think a very few cars wound up with this from the
factory.

> The test track at the factory was not nearly long enough to attempt to
> achieve a speed anywhere near 130 MPH. As a matter of fact the track was

The test track wasn't intended for high speed use. It was intended to
verify the suspension settings and general quality of the cars for use at
normal speeds.

"Grand Delusions" (I think it's that book) says that the track was
originally intended to be banked so that the car could be "driven" around
the track by holding the steering wheel perfectly straight the entire
time. But the construction company couldn't/wouldn't build the track with
such steep banking, so it didn't work out that way.

> Extensive road tests conducted by "Road & Track" revealed a more
> realistic top speed of 109 MPH in 4th gear at 5600 rpm and the same
> top speed of 109 MPH in 5th gear

The car is definitely faster than that. I have a program called "Cartest"
which computes top speed (plus 0-60 mph times and a variety of other
performance information) and I believe it said that the "calculated" value
based on the gearing, coefficient of drag, and power is 122 MPH. But the
DeLorean has a small frontal area (not counted by this program) and I
wouldn't be surprised if 130 MPH were possible.