[DML] The Mystery Piece...Continued

Thank you to everyone who took part in my contest to guess what the "Mystery Piece" that was found in my car is (http://www.egroups.com/docvault/dmcnews/mystery.jpg).  From the 7 guesses I have picked two winners, Noah Huffman for his guess of a piece of a Kiln, and Kelvin Mason for his guess that the piece was found in either the air filter or another airduct.

Here is the story behind this rather peculiar item:

While driving my DeLorean across the country last summer, my engine started to develop a "ping" and would click rather loudly at certain revolutions.  At just over 30,000 original miles on the car, the engine was starting to fail.  (Don't worry, this was a freak occurrence with this particular car as you will soon see).  Upon reaching my new home in Colorado and finding a mechanic adept in working on D's, I took my car in and had it checked out.  The Mechanics prognosis was just what I was afraid it would be, that I would either have to rebuild or replace the engine sometime in the near future.  After nearly a year of trying to decide what to do, and dreading an engine blow-up every time I drove the car, I decided to have the engine rebuilt.  When I went to pick the car up last week, the mechanic handed me the piece shown in the vault, telling me that this piece probably caused all of me engine troubles.

His best guess (from talking to other people who work on DeLoreans) is that this little piece is a part of the jig used when machining the PRV engine.  It broke off and somehow ended up in the oil pan of the car.  Dana (my mechanic) found it wedged in the oil line, in effect causing an oil "heart attack." Without adequate oil getting to the engine, the breakdown of the metal components happened much faster than usual.  He also gaveme the rod bearing set that had the most wear on it. It is posted at http://www.egroups.com/docvault/dmcnews/part102612.jpg

So now you know the rest of the story.......

Michael Babb
Vin 3472
michael@xxxx