[DML] DeLorean's design

> Kevin Rawlings wrote:
>
> Although Lotus did have a big part in the design of the DMC-12, this has no
> connection to how the DeLorean looks like the Esprit. The reason is that
> John DeLorean went to Mr. Guigiaro (ItalDesign) to style his car,
> incidentally, this is the same company that did (does?) all the design work
> for Lotus. If you look at other cars styled by Guigiaro, they all look very
> much the same as the DeLorean and Esprit.
>
> Just thought I'd let you know,

Kevin, that was my point exactly. The fact that Giorgetto Giugiaro (not
"Guigiaro") of Ital Design did design the DeLorean (1975), and the Esprit,
et al, is precisely why it remarkably resembles the Esprit and has EVERYTHING
to do with design of the Esprit.

FYI, Lotus had very little or nothing to do with the design of the DMC-12. The
initial design, for all practical purposes, was completed by Giugiaro in 1975
long before Lotus got involved in 1978. The first two DeLorean prototypes were
built by the Pocobello Triad Group (Kar Kraft), 1975-76, and Creative Industries,
1977, both of Detroit, before Lotus got involved. Lotus was an engineering firm
that JZD hired to engineer Giugiaro's design, and Bill Collins' prototypes for
production. Lotus was hired in 1978 only after the decision was made to locate
the production facility in Northern Ireland instead of Puerto Rico. BTW, after
Lotus got involved they wanted to scrap the gullwing door concept (design?).
JZD said absolutely NOT.

Regards,
Ed Thompson (#6419 since 1982)