[DML] Re: Fuel system cleaning

If the car has only been sitting for a year, thats a little different than
one that has been in storage for years . Depending on how much the car had
been driven previously. Have you added any fuel to the tank yet? If not
stick your nose in the filler neck and see if it smells like normal gas or
has a varnishy smell which would be bad news. The oxygenated fuels we are
forced to use these days have substantially shortened storage life than it
used too. They say that the gas now starts to go bad after about 90 days.
At least thats what all the local recreational toy stores say. Thats there
biggest business cleaning and tuning engines that are used seasonally.

Do you happen to have a maintenance history for the car? Has it ever had
fuel system work done to it before? Have you started the car since you
bought it? Alot depends on the condition of the rubber boot that supports
the fuel pump. Bad gas will attack the rubber braking it down. These bits
of rubber can work their way through the system which can clog the fuel
filter sending it into bypass mode without you knowing it and contaminating
and clogging everything down stream.
btw. A friend of mine used to own a mid 70's porsche 911 that developed a
fuel problem, this is what happened to him except his was contaminated with
a layer 3/4 in deep of rust and sludge in in his fuel tank . He said he
ended up replacing almost every fuel componant Major $$$$

As I stated in a earlier posting , Give Don Steger a call at Delorean motor
center in California He has put togather a step by step sheet for the
do-it yourselfer types. He will be more than happy to fax or send you a
copy. and answer any questions you have.

Good Luck , Dennis Vin 5180