[DML] Re: Struts that dampen opening shock

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999 10:29:26 -0500, James Espey wrote:

> At 6:54 PM -0500 10/25/99, dcsj@xxxx wrote:
> >Yes ,the LIFT-O-MAT struts are still availiably as new manufactured
units.
> >I saw all 6 struts at the St louis expo . Don Steger of Delorean Motor
> >Center in California sells the NEW units.
> >
> >Basicly the same price as all the other vendors. Btw: the manufacturer
is
> >Stabilus, Its in small print on the side of the strut housing
> >
> >Don told me he is also trying to get the manufacturer to make a set of
door
> >struts that dampen the last 25% of the opening stroke, to help ease the
> >strain from the more abrupt opening shock,
> >
> >Hope this helps, Dennis VIn 5180
>
> The fact that the Lift-O--Mat struts do NOT have this dampener are the
> reason that we do not sell those at DMC (Houston). I wasn't aware of how
> big of a difference that dampening feature made until I replaced my old
> struts with some from Don this spring in Phoenix. Once it got warmer, the
> doors would seemingly fly open, causing a significant "bounce" at the top
> of their travel. This is really hard on the door hinges, and when I got
> Houston, I mentioned it to our mechanic, Bill. he replaced them with a
set
> of our struts, that have the dampening valve in them and the problem was
> solved. When the door is opened, once the door reaches about 75-80% of
its
> travel, the valve kicks in and slows the door down so that when it
reaches
> the top of it's travel, it's moving slowly enough that there is no
"bounce".

> Stabilus has shown no interest in creating their strut with a valve for
> such a small market, so we have stuck with our current supplier.
>
> James Espey

James thanks for the added info . However Don did tell me that the
manufacturer has already made him a prototype set for him to try out .
Perhaps they have changed there position on small market production runs. He
said that in his conversations with the developement dept., that they were
willing to make him anything he wanted. I guess only time will tell. btw.
only the LIFT-O-MATS are truly concours' correct !

Speaking of concours' correct items The bosch wipers blades were not the
only ones used on the car. If you remember back in 96 when you visited the
warehouse they had several items for sale that were steeply discounted, one
of the items were wiper blades. These units had no manufacturer markings on
them any where. Also their method of attachment was different than the
bosch units I had on my car. They had a pin that protruded from the side of
the pivot point. I guess they used a different brand in later production
cars . Anyway I bought them and consider these to be OEM concours' correct
also. You might want to check them out for what its worth.

Dennis