[DML] Re: One More Concours Comment

Michael Babb wrote: > I thought that a Concours competition was supposed

> to be not for "original" cars. But should highlight the
> way the cars "should" have come from the factory. > In our case, I
would think a stronger alternator, etc
> would be a good thing.

I agree that a stronger alternator would be a good thing (although my
VIN 1280 has gotten over 60k miles of good performance from the original
Ducey alternator). But remember that it is possible to set the original
alternator aside and reinstall it for competition. The same goes for
parts that were downright defective, like the fan-fail realy.

Imagine two beautiful DeLoreans competing side-by side. The only
difference is that the first owner has preserved the blue fan-fail relay
in perfect condition, then gone to the extra work of removing his bypass
(or Fanzilla) and snapping the original relay back into place. The
second owner tossed the blue relay in the trash in 1981. The judges
have to give credit to the first owner for going the extra mile. With
some items, like the braided clutch line, it may be alright to simply
keep the original line for display during competition. If two
competitors both show up with braided clutch lines, but one has kept the
original polymer line stored in a box while the other tossed it in the
trash, it would be unfair to award them the same points. The owner who
made the greater effort and kept the original part should get credit.

As a Concours judge I must add that a competitor who went to the extra
trouble of putting the original polymer clutch line back into his
DeLorean just for competition would sure impress the Hell out of me!

It's fun to make jokes about the air in the tires and the gas in the
tank, but consider this: yesterday DMC Joe's son flushed all the green
coolant from my DeLorean and replaced it with the new high-tech orange
coolant. The orange stuff is much better at preserving aluminum engines
and radiators, but it was not available in 1981.

If I were to judge my own car as it is, I would deduct a point because
it does not have old fashioned green coolant. If I were to compete in a
Concours today I would drain the high-tech orange coolant and replace it
with the green stuff for judging, then tomorrow I would put the orange
coolant back in my system.

- Mike Substelny