[DML] Water Pump Blues!

Ok....Here's a fun one =). My water pump went. I got a new one, took the
manifold off, replaced said water pump, put everything back together. The
cooling issue seems to be straight, but the engine is definately not running
right. Without the airbox on, I can see the large round valve repeatedly
popping up and causing the engine to stop. It definately wasn't doing this
before I did this project. (Please excuse poor terminology from this part
forth - I still haven't mastered the engine layout =) ) There are 3
adjustment screws mounted on the rear section of the air intake. I believe
the 3rd one in (According to the workshop manual) is an idle adjustor, and
that the front 2 adjust the gas/air mixture.....In any case, what are the
correct settings (or at least approx) for these screws? While running the
engine trying to get it to idle, I also noticed that the exhaust pipes were
starting to glow orange, I'm guessing because of the mixture being too rich?

As you can see, I'm having a few problems this week =) Any advice or ideas
on how to proceed would be much appreciated!

Sam
05616