Sent: Friday, October 15, 1999 12:19 PM
Subject: [DML] Re: Can a DeLorean be Keyed?

Robert Greenhaw wrote:

> Is it possible for the stainless to get damaged by someone
> keying or knifing? Just how much damage would it cause?

Keys are made of various soft metals. These metals are much harder than the
paint on ordinary cars but softer than the stainless on a DeLorean. You
could rub out a light scratch with a Scotchbright pad. A determined vandal
*might* scrape a key against your DeLorean hard enough to make a serious
scratch. But if he did so, take consolation in the thought that his key was
probably ruined by your much harder stainless. That vandal is walking home!

The DeLorean's 304 stainless is "kitchen grade," the same as a typical knife
blade. This could probably put a nasty sctrach in a DeLorean and damage the
knife blade at the same time.

Stainless is also relatively impervious to the ordinary spray paint a vandal
might use, since it is much easier to clean than a painted car.

If someone *really* wanted to vandalize a DeLorean, they should use a
hammer. Big dents and broken glass are bad news for DeLoreans, even worse
than they are for most ordinary cars.

(I sure hope I don't have any enemies lurking out there . . .)

- Mike Substelny

www.dmcnews.com/Admin/rules.html

moderator@xxxx