[DML] Re: Hypothetical yet important ENGINE & TRANSMISSION question!

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Stian Birkeland wrote:

> Is it possible to fit a PRV engine from the Renault GTA?
> Is it possible to fit the Renault GTA's transmission?

Supposedly there are minor differences between the DeLorean PRV and other
PRVs, but I don't know what they are, other than the oil pan. Supposedly
many things that were "right" became "left."

As for the transmission, the Renault R30 (I think that's the designation)
is what's used in the DeLorean. You have to take the DeLorean's final
drive unit, however.

> TYPE ALLOY V6 MOUNTED IN-LINE AT REAR
> CAPACITY 2849cc
> BORE/STROKE 91x73
> COMPRESSION RATIO 9:5:1

This is the B28E, is it not? I think the B28F used in the DeLorean was
primarily distinguished by its lower compression ratio, required by
emissions. But a PRV using a modern multiport fuel injection system and
modern catalytic converters, could probably pass emissions easily even
with the higher compression.

> POWER 160 BHP AT 5750 RPM
> TORQUE 166 LB FT AT 3500 RPM

Certainly a good way to increase naturally aspirated power - but note that
it would be harder to turbocharge the higher compression engine.